- Collected and Disclosed Information
- In order to better provide you with our numerous services, including, but not limited to, ticket giveaways, event announcements, etc., we collect two types of information about our users: Personally Identifiable Information and Non-Personally Identifiable Information. Our primary goal in collecting information from you is to provide you with a smooth, efficient, and customized experience while using our site.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information refers to information that does not by itself identify a specific individual. When your computer contacts our Web servers (for example, when you visit this Site or view an HTML e-mail), our Web servers may automatically collect Web site usage information that describes how our visitors use and navigate the Site. It includes the number and frequency of visitors to each Web page and the length of their stays, browser type, referrer data that identifies the Web page visited prior and subsequent to visiting the Site, and IP addresses (see below for more information on IP addresses). We also may determine the applicable technology available in order to serve you the most appropriate version of a Web page, e-mail or similar service. We may also take your Personally Identifiable Information and make it Non-Personally Identifiable, either by combining it with information about other individuals or by removing characteristics (such as your name) that make the information personally identifiable to you de-personalizing your information.
- Notice to California Residents: We do not to share your Personally Identifiable Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, unless you specifically tell us to do so through an opt-in. For those California residents who want more information, please contact The Word at the addresses listed in paragraph “11” below. You must include your full name, e-mail address, and postal address in your message.
- Information collected in aggregate form and includes the number of visitors to the Site, the pages they visit, and how long they stay. We collect these kinds of aggregate user information to help us continually improve our services and to sell sponsorships on the Site to appropriate advertisers. The Word discloses this aggregate user information to third parties for a variety of purposes, including advertisers. Note that advertisers do not have any influence over the editorial content or reviews that appear on the Site. In addition, The Word collects information from visitors who click on advertisements so that we are able to measure interest in the various areas of our Site and inform advertisers as to how many visitors have seen or clicked on their ads.
- The Word cooperates with all law-enforcement inquiries, official investigations and legal proceedings initiated by governmental and/or law enforcement officials, as well as private parties, and reserves the right to disclose personally identifying and/or aggregate information in connection with a subpoena or other court-sanctioned demand for such information. The Word may also use your Personally Identifiable Information as necessary to comply with tax reporting obligations, at the request of governmental authorities, or to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing the Site and applicable laws. We may also disclose Personally Identifiable Information whenever we believe disclosure is necessary to limit our legal liability or to protect or enforce the rights, interests, or safety of the Site, or our users or others.
- IP Addresses; Cookies and Other Tracking Technology
- The Word logs IP (Internet Protocol) addresses, or the location of your computer on the Internet, for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes. We use the IP address log in an aggregate fashion for a number of purposes, such as system administration to track access to our Site.
- As is standard practice on many web sites, the Site uses “cookies” and other similar technologies such as clear gifs (collectively “Local Device Storage”) to recognize you and provide personalization, as well as to track usage patterns on the Site and to analyze Web activity to help us understand which parts of our Site are the most popular, where our visitors are going, and how much time they spend there. We also access Google’s DoubleClick cookie to collect anonymous demographic data (such as the age, gender, and interests) about each visitor to our site, using a feature that is currently called Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. We do not merge this Non-Personally Identifying Information with, or connect it to, to any user accounts or any Personally Identifiable Information we have collected through other means. We may use this demographic data to tailor information or advertising that we display to individual visitors, and we may disclose this demographic data in an aggregated form to third parties. You can visit Google’s Ad Settings to opt out of sharing Google’s DoubleClick cookie with sites like ours, to modify the Google demographic information that is delivered to us and other sites, and to customize Google Display Network ads. You may also decline Local Device Storage by using the appropriate feature of your web software, if available; however, declining to use Local Device Storage may impede the ability of the Site to function properly.
- In addition to Local Device Storage, we may use web beacons, web bugs and similar technologies (collectively, together with Local Device Storage, the “Tracking Technologies”). We use Tracking Technologies for all or some of the same lawful business purposes we described above for the use of Local Device Storage. These devices allow us to monitor and collect certain limited information about our users, such as the type of browser requesting the Web beacon, the IP address of the computer that the Web beacon is sent to and the time the Web beacon was viewed. Web beacons can be very small and invisible to the user, but, in general, any electronic image viewed as part of a Web page or e-mail, including HTML based content, can act as a Web beacon. We may use Web beacons to compile aggregate statistics about the Site; we do not link the information collected by its Web beacons to the Personally Identifiable Information you provide the Site.
- In addition, we use a third-party advertising company to serve ads when you visit our Site. This company may use information (not including your name, address, e-mail address, or telephone number) about your visit to this Site, including IP address, in order to provide advertisements about products and services that may be of interest to you. In the course of serving advertisements to this Site, our third-party advertiser may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser.
- User Generated Content (Message Boards, Forums, Reader Reviews and Chats)
Please remember that any personal information you disclose in the message boards, forums, reader reviews, and chats becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information. If you send us e-mails, you should be aware that information disclosed in e-mails may not be secure or encrypted and, thus, may be available to others. We suggest that you exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal or confidential information in e-mails or via the Internet.
We will use your e-mail address to respond directly to your questions or comments. Except to provide you with products and services you have requested, we will not share, sell, rent, swap or authorize any third party to use your e-mail address without providing you the opportunity to opt-out of such use. If we ever request that you volunteer additional information, such as age (e.g., in an online survey), your response will always be voluntary. You can unsubscribe to any e-mail you receive from The Word by following the instructions in the e-mail. If you feel you have received an e-mail from us in error, please contact email@example.com.
- e-Newsletters: The Word offers an e-mail newsletters (“e-Newsletter”). Users may opt to receive a regular e-Newsletter that contains information we believe to be of value to our users. We respect that your receiving the e-Newsletter is a choice, and you may choose to remove your name from the list at any time by following the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the e-mail or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Social Networking Service.
- Third-Party Web Sites.
8. Collection of Personal Data from Children.
Our Site is not directed to users under the age of 13. The Word will not knowingly collect information from individuals under the age of 13 (“children”) or provide any Personally Identifying Information of children, regardless of its source, to any third party for any purpose whatsoever. No information provided by users self-identified as children will knowingly be used for any marketing or promotional purposes whatsoever.
9. Transfer of Information.
10. Information Security and Notification.
Our Site has security measures in place to help protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control and uses encryption technology where appropriate. However, we cannot guaranty the security of the information you sent to us or the security of our servers, networks or databases because no data transmission is completely secure, and no system of physical or electronic security is impenetrable, and by using our Site, you agree to assume all risk in connection with the information sent to us or collected by us when you access, visit and/or use the Site, including, without limitation, your Personally Identifiable Information, and we are not responsible for any loss of such information or the consequences thereof.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you.
11. Accessing Your Information; The Word Contact.